bg

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Re-fashioned Dress Tutorial 01

September is National Sewing Month and to celebrate I've got a modesty inspiration for some of you! This post marks the beginning of a new series called, Re-fashioned. Make sure to watch the accompanied video episode below, too!

So, I was browsing the clearance rack at Kohl's when I spotted this dress. I instantly fell in love with the fabric design and the light airy feel of the material. Well, there was just one dilemna, it was 2 sizes too large. I begin to think of how many projects I could do with the fabric alone. It was 80% off which brought it to $8.00 and I also used a 15% of coupon--have I ever mentioned to you that I love to find a smashing deal?
Well, I bought it anyway and brought it home. I stared at it for a few days and then I said, Aha! I've got just the idea and I want to share it with you! Hope you enjoy! 
Okay here-goes. . .
I tried the dress on over a thin, plain shirt and I really liked the style but I wanted the dress to be attached to the shirt as if it was all one piece. 
I used an inexpensive tee that I didn't mind experimenting with since it was my new idea and my first draft. =)
If you have already made a few of these and like the results, I recommend using a stronger type of knit shirt for durability. 

You will need a piece of cardboard that is about the width of your top and a few safety pins. 

Using safety pins instead of regular straight pins would be better in this project. You might want to try on the dress before you begin stitching to confirm the placement you desired.

Insert cardboard into t-shirt while the t-shirt is inside the dress. 
Begin pinning the layers together all the way around the top edge of the dress, then flip over and do other side. 

Once, you have everything pinned securely, try on the dress. 
Everything as planned? If not, this is the time to make changes. Begin stitching the shirt to dress.
And, wahla! You're done! This is a very quick project that can be done with even more ideas added.

How did your's turn out? I sure liked mine and hope that it can inspire you too!
Watch the video below for a real-time visual.
Happy Sewing!


Send us your ideas, feedback, or project pics. We'd like to know how this inspired you!
You can comment below or email
sew [at] maggieelizabethdesigns.com

God bless you!

1 comment:

  1. It had never occurred to me to stitch the skirt on so high, but it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete